Vaughn

Default OT - Lawn Tractors & Small farm tractors

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
news
RogerN wrote:
I think that a lot depends on how good of a job
you want to do. I've watched my brother tend his
orchard and cut the grass under the trees with
a full-sized tractor and mowing attachment. It
did a surprisingly good job and he was *fast*
with it.

I'll admit to knowing little about tractors, but I find myself thinking
"Farmall Cub".

The below is from: http://www.ytmag.com/profiles/cubprof.htm
The Farmall Cub Today

Today the Farmall Cub is still extremely popular - for many of the same reasons
it was popular 50 years ago. One of the advantages of this popularity is: if you
own one, you enjoy a ready supply of new after-market (replacement) parts.

One of the most popular uses of this tractor today is for mowing large lawns or
golf courses with a belly mower attached. New after-factory belly mowers are
available from Woods brand equipment dealers. There are also 3-point hitch kits
available for these tractors which makes it possible to use many of todays
popular 3-point implements. You do need to consider the horsepower of the
tractor before using a modern implement and make sure that it is rated for the
small size of the Cub.

Many of these tractors are also still in use by gardeners with a large vegetable
patch. The Cultivision setup simply can't be beat for cultivating rows of tender
young vegetables.

You'll find quite a few Farmall Cubs restored and parade-ready. You can always
find at least one at an Antique Tractor Show with it's proud owner standing by.
They are not rare machines by any means. But due to their continued popularity
they can command a pretty high purchase price. Be prepared to pay anywhere from
$1000.00 to $3500.00 for a running tractor, depending upon condition and
available implements.