Bill Janssen

Default OT - Lawn Tractors & Small farm tractors

RogerN wrote:

I recently purchased a home a few miles out of town with ~4-1/2 acres and
it's getting time to mow some grass. There is approximately 1-1/2 acres for
the yard and another 3 acres of brush & small trees. I recently bought a
backhoe for the brush cleanup but haven't decided what to do about the
mowing yet. One idea is to get a lawn tractor for the lawn and later on
come up with a tractor & bush hog for the field. I've been looking at Sears
lawn tractors at the local store. They have one with Automatic
transmission, 17.5hp Kohler, cast iron axle, for $1399. There is a similar
unit with a Briggs engine for around the same price. They also have some
higher priced mowers with ~25hp engines for $2100 to ~$2500. What I don't
like about the larger tractors is that it would probably be more difficult
cutting around trees & bushes with the larger turning radius and all.

I'm trying to decide on just buying a used tractor, bush hog, & perhaps
finish mower or get lawn tractor now and tractor/bush hog later.

Also, if I get a lawn tractor, should I get one with a Kohler or Briggs
engine? Is the Craftsman mowers a good value or is there something better I
should look at?

Thanks for any helpful advice!

I have two acres and two riding lawn mowers (one old - one new) They
work Ok on the lawn but
choke up on tall weeds. They have plenty of power but the mowing deck
can't clear the cut grass
if it is too high. Keep the weeds short and most mowers will probably be
OK. For tall weeds
and brush better get something bigger.

Bill K7NOM