Posted to uk.d-i-y
NoSpam NoSpam is offline

Default What *pocket' digi-cam do you carry ..?

T i m wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:47:43 GMT, Stuart Noble
wrote:

The XG looks good but it's a shame that it takes a special battery - a
pain when travelling. Is there anything with similar size/features that
will accept standard batteries?

The Fuji the OP was looking to replace might fit the bill :-)

And that's near where we have gone (after bidding on an XG and it
going too high) in a Fuji F31fd.

Although it's for all our use, the immediate role will be for our
daughter to take on a short holiday soon. It's not as slim as I was
hoping but she seems to be happy to put any p&s camera in her bag or
jacket pocket (rather than tight jeans).

Although the battery isn't 'std' it is supposedly good for over 500
shots and married to a 2G xD card and on 6Mp gives it over 500 shots
also. This is a 'snapshot' camera so she can fill her boots doing just
that! ;-)

It also has a very high ISO equiv (3200 or summat) and the 'face
detection' feature which is supposedly not *just* a gimmick.

3x zoom and fairly good Fuji optics should make for a reasonable tool,
especially at £135 (bought locally from a real camera shop and highly
recommended by them).

No optical viewfinder but she rarely used the one on the F420 (she
says and isn't bothered by the loss so far) and she has figured out
how most of it works and transferred pictures to her PC without
reading the manual (I note it's still sealed in the bag) or any input
from me.

She's got a 'family' day today so I dare say she'll give it a good run
(pre holiday) and wee will really see how it performs.

Thanks to all who responded ..

T i m

Any feedback on it yet?