Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Steve is offline

Default Question regarding fascia & soffit

wrote on 29 Jul 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

I need to have about 100 ft of my fascia and soffit replaced, and I'm
thinking about doing it myself. But before I proceed further, I would
like some expert opinions:
1. How much would a handyman charge for this job (material looks like
cheap wood, not vinyl or aluminum)? Is this something a homeowner with
average skill can do, or does it have to be done by a professional?
2. What kind of primer and paint should I use?
3. Would I need any special tools?
Thanks,
Adam

I charge $30/hour in Fort Worth, TX. Just giving you a SWAG, I'd say
it's probably a two-day job, but could be much less depending on your
level of expertise. Every job takes longer than you expect because you
find something unexpected when you take the house apart. Blame that on
the idiot lazy carpenter who put it there to start with, then move on.

You can probably do it yourself, if you're careful. You'll screw up the
first piece, everybody does, so start somewhere hidden. Getting the old
wood off without damaging the stuff that stays is a big part of the
problem, so be careful.

Ask at your favorite REAL paint store what kind of paint to use. I
usually buy Sherwin Williams because I get a 30% discount, but all the
manufacturers sell pretty good stuff. The guys at the Lowes Depot
counter are sometimes retired painters, so you might even get good
advice there, if you're lucky. I seldom go the the big box stores.

You'll need a pry bar to take off the old materials. I recommend a
pneumatic hammer to keep your arm from falling off nailing upsidedown.
You can rent one or borrow it from a buddy. Get a helper to hold the
soffet pieces up while you nail them. An alternative is a couple of T-
shaped braces made from 2x4, but the helper is much better -- s/he can
run for the first aid kit.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement