Posted to alt.home.repair
Edward[_3_] Edward[_3_] is offline

Default Let there be Light! (T8 Light that is)

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 22:10:56 -0400, Paul Franklin
wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 01:38:45 GMT, (Edward)
wrote:

So, I installed the first of three T8 fiuxtures in Mom's kitchen.
It wasn't so hard.
I found Aluminum wire in the fixture, directly spliced onto copper.
This is a no-no, correct?
http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc00898ty8.jpg

My junction box, Have to use the NEW NM-B cable in the new fixture.
Note the lack of electrical tape.
http://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc00901js3.jpg

and the inside of the fixtrure before I buttoned it up.
http://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc00903xp5.jpg

Now... let me know what I have to correct.

It probably wasn't aluminum wire, just tinned copper. Not unusual to
see. If you cut a strand and it's copper colored inside, it's copper.

A metal junction box must be grounded, so you need a jumper from the
box that ties into the bare ground wires, and they should be
wire-nutted together. And, BTW, the box must be mounted to something,
and it can't be completely covered up, as in buried inside a wall or
ceiling.

Gotcha on the grounding. Won't be hard.
I have the boc screwed to a stud inside the wall, I didn't take a
picture of it.
I'll get some grounding wire, I saw some of that at Lowes.

Ditto on the fixture; the housing must be tied to the ground. there
is usually a green screw provided for this.

Gotcha I'll take care of that.

HTH,

Paul