Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Default A/C Window unit 10K

On Jul 29, 8:12 pm, Clark wrote:
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in news:31f36$46acc01b$9440c41e$17180
@STARBAND.NET:

"Clark" wrote in message
.. .
MikeL wrote in news:1185668049.818130.307350
@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

this unit is a 1.5 years old and it cuts out the external
overload....jumping out the exteral OL, the compressor runs, but you
can feel it heating up and it will eventually cut out the internal
overload. I know these units are probably not worth replacing a
compressor..
But I was wondering...is it possibly an internal problem w/ the
compressor or could it be a low freon problem causing high pressure,
and then cutting out? Is it worth putting a line tap on it to check
the pressures to see? (I don't mind 'tinkering' w/ it, but I don't
want to put any money in it)
Thanks for your advise!

External overload? internal overload? Whatinthehell are you trying to
describe? There are no "overload" switches in an A/C. A unit may have high
and low pressure switches but "overloads," no.

Try telling Copeland, Tecumseh, Bristol, Danfoss, Carlyle, etc that their
compressors have no 'overloads'. LOL

They possibly have pressure limit and temperature limit switches not
"overloads." None of those folks actually measure a compressor load, e.g. the
work the compressor is performing. A breaker would come closer to be an
actual overload switch...

Clean the filter and the ice will stop forming on the evaporator. The unit
will perform normally after that (until the filter gets dirty again).

But what if, its not the filter?

But it most likely is, even if you didn't think of it.

--
---
there should be a "sig" here- Hide quoted text -

I agree clean and should run till dirty again window units rarely have
overloads just temp shutdowns