Posted to alt.home.repair
dicko dicko is offline

Default Update to: What could have done this to my vinyl siding?

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 12:22:01 -0500, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"CraigT" wrote in message

wrote in message
seen siding just like that.guy had a gas grill to close to it. HEAT!!!

I guaranty that this wasn't like this two weeks ago. I've lived in the

house
2 years. I have no little kids nor do my older children hang around on

the
deck. I charcoal grill about 18 feet from where the damage is.

Then cut that bitch open and see what's behind the OSB.

If it wasn't there and it just suddenly appeared... I would sure as hell be
finding out what's in that wall!!!!!!

I'll weigh in with my 2 cents. The pattern of melted tyvek seems to
indicate an outside source of heat, a fairly diffuse source at that.
The melted tyvek appears to be evenly spaced at the same spacing as
the siding overlap as evidenced by some dirt streaks on the un melted
tyvek. So wherever the siding came into contact with the tyvek, it
melted. Where the siding was spaced away, it didnt melt.

This indicates an outside source to me. I doubt it was lightning. As
some one else said, that would punch a hole. But it wouldnt just
punch a hole, it'd blast a hole.

I know someone who ruined an expensive swimming pool liner by using
some plastic milk jugs as weights to hold the pool cover down. They
focused the sun and melted right through the liner. This however
seems to large for that. The heat was applied over a substantial area
but focused over the largest tyvek hole.

-dickm