Posted to alt.home.repair
CraigT CraigT is offline

Default Update to: What could have done this to my vinyl siding?

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 12:50:36 -0400, CraigT wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 12:29:46 -0400, CraigT wrote:

Originaal post:

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/IMG_6627.JPG

There are no heat sources behind that wall besides a toaster oven that
sits
on the counter top and is seldom used. I would think any heat source
from
inside would have caused some damage to the cabinet directly above.
This
is
new housing so the walls are insulated.

I haven't used any chemicals on the deck since the spring of '06.

Update:

I got the siding off (hey, it's been raining around here).

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squishe...denosiding.JPG

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squishe...ecoversoff.JPG

All the electrical wiring and connections look sound and unblemished.

The switch for the outside light is a different circuit, but that
outside
outlet is hooked to the kitchen circuit too.

Should I cut a 16" X 8" hole in the sheathing?

Looks like the plastic over the the outside sheeting has been melted by
heat. You've got to remember what you might have had on the deck that
heated up that area. Either that or someone poured a flammable substance
on it and tried to set your house on fire or vandalize it.

Sorry, we kind of went over this in the last thread. No heat source was
the
cause unless I had a lightning strike.
Some felt it was my use of chemicals during restaining in the spring of
'06
redused the siding's sensitivity to sunlight.

The plastic cover on the sheeting underneath the siding is melted and the
wrinkles around it indicate a source of heat. You can come to any
conclusion you desire but the sensible and logical answer is a source of
heat caused that melting.

The more I stare at this the more I think it was a lightning strike.

Notice the wrinkles in the Tyvek correspond to the indents of the siding.
Yes the heat source was outside, melted the siding, and where it touched the
Tyvek it distorted/melted it too.