Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy robo hippy is offline

Default Musing about Turner's Burnout. (aka, my attention deficit disorder)

Can't say that I have hit a burn out period yet. Some times I just
have to do some flat work, or related shop things, but after almost 9
years of turning, I still love the basic bowl, no ornamentation, just
smooth clean lines. I don't like yard work, or house work, and use the
shop as an excuse. I figure the reason the forms slows down so much in
the summer is that there are so many other things to do, before the
weather drives us indoors again. There always seems to be something
new to learn. I guess this is akin to people asking me what is my most
favorite piece that I have turned, and don't I ever get attached to a
piece. For me it is a case of yes, that was nice, but what is around
the next corner that I haven't seen yet. Maybe in another 20 or 30
years, I may get burnout, but by that time, my birth certificate will
be about ready to expire.
robo hippy

On Jul 29, 9:26 am, (Arch) wrote:
Hot enough for ya? During these dog days of summer, I have been in the
burnout phase re woodturning. My interest level for all of my hobbies
is a sort of sine wave of varying frequency and amplitude, but generally
slowly changing from white hot addiction to ho-hum. Who said "Thank
Goodness for the negative swings?"

Anyway, you guys have had your all too few blessed days of relief and
I'm back to musing about our hobby--business, craft--art
endeavors again.

Speaking of "burnout", is it a personality thing, in the genes or what?
I realize that the level of participation on rcw might not reflect a
turner's interest in woodturning. Some might be very active in what I
call "lathe turning" as opposed to "keyboard turning". Some are
involved with "social turning": ie. visiting other's shops, clubs,
symposia, art and craft shows. Others are occupied with "economic
turning": ie. booths, malls, galleries and websites while their interest
level remains high. Not for me. At the moment, I couldn't care less for
lawns, welding, machining, sailing or turning wood. I'm into dozing and
reading, but not about my hobbies. That'll change for sure.

What have these questionably relevant comments got to do with a
woodturner's forum? Admittedly not much, but it's too hot and humid in
my shop to turn, plus I'm just not interested. Cold beer and hot
barbecue is another matter: right now pilsner vs lager and pulled vs
sliced is more important than cutting vs scraping.
How do you guys sustain your addiction the year around from year to
year? At the moment, I'm not sure I really care, but I am sure you
don't care whether I do or not. Hey! my sine curve is beginning to
ascend. Where's my current "American Woodturner"? Think I'll go turn
something!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter