Posted to rec.woodworking
sammywhite sammywhite is offline

Default Best saw to cut 2.5" butcher block?

On Jul 28, 7:44 pm, Hoosierpopi wrote:
" I've got a (lovely) piece of butcher block "

Look, if you are going to all the trouble to cut, refinish and
install this bearof a counter top, why not take it to "the shop" and
have a Pro check for steel "imbeds" and cut it to specs for you?
You say tow ends will show - there are only two "ends." Do you mean
one end and one side will show? If so, you can likely cut this
yourself with a suspect Skill Saw and hide your errors (if any) with
the walls!

If it is to fit "flus" to a wall, or two (as assumed, above) you will
likely need to sand it to conform to the (irregular) wall surfaces and
might want to UNDERCUT or BEVEL your cuts to better facilitate this
step - another good job for a ProShop.

Bon chance et bin appitite

n Jul 28, 10:46 am, "TH" wrote:

Watch out for the steel rods though.

"sammywhite" wrote in message

roups.com...

I've got a piece of butcher block counter that I salvaged. It's
roughly 2'x6' and 2.5" thick (really heavy). I need to trim it down
to fit a new location to about 1.5'x5'. What do you think would be
the best type of saw to make these cuts?.....and, I'll admit I'm a
novice with this kind of stuff (but do have access to some decent
tools)....do you think I should turn this job over to a pro.

Thanks for your help!- Hide quoted text -

Yes. Meant to say two sides, not ends.

I love the idea of routering the top to remove the sharp edges.

Thanks again for all the input!