Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,sci.engr.civil,misc.consumers.house

Default Drainage problems near foundation.

On Jul 29, 3:35 am, "Chuck" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

Hi, I have a depression in my asphalt driveway next to my house, with
the low point situated only a few feet from the foundation.

When it rains heavily, the water ponds here and eventually overflows,
dispering into the soil which lines the rear side of the house - far
to close to my foundation for comfort.

Over the years, the grade has shifted towards my house such that there
remains no easy way to regrade away from the foundation without
infringing upon my neighbour(shared driveway).

I have considered installing a drainage pipe(french drain)
to divert the water away, but since the soil on the property has a
sand-like consistency it has been suggested as an alternative that I
drill holes into the low point of the ashphalt(where the water is
collecting) to help facilitate drainage into the sand below.

Is this a sound suggestion?

If so, what diameter holes would be recommended to best expidite
drainage, whithout needlessly underming the location.

After drilling the holes I had planned to stage a trial run with a
garden hose(to approximate rainfall), and assess their viability.

But I have lingering concerns as to whether the depression's proximity
to the foundation allows sufficient clearance from the foundation to
be advisable.

Also, I remain skeptical as to what adverse weathering effects might
be exposed through the perforations as a result of the climate(-30 C.
winters up here).

Lastly, should I so desire at a later date(for whatever reason) after
drilling the holes, would I then be able to patch them up with a
simple pot-hole filler(that you buy at the local hardware store)
without worry?

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Fill the hole.- Hide quoted text -

Without seeing this and the actual constraints it's impossible to
suggest the possible solutions. However, drilling holes in your
driveway sounds like a bad idea. From your descripition it sounds
like the low spot is close to the foundation. So, even if you drill
holes, the water is still going to go into the ground close to the
foundation, isn't it? And drilling holes now provides a place for
freeze/thaw cycles to begin to destroy the asphalt.

From a basic standpoint, the preferred solutions are regrading if it

can be done within reason, or else channeling the water away via a
drain system.