Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default What type of toolmakers vise is the best

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 22:57:43 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Alex
quickly quoth:

I am looking to buy a 3" or 4" wide generic toolmakers vise on eBay.
Can anyone recommend me a particular type or features vise should have?

I just picked up a 3" super-precision sine toolmaker's vise from
800watt on eBay for $30 ($42.49 delivered.) This has an acme screw vs.
the quick-slide type and horz/vert vee-cuts for holding round objects.
I think I'll be happy with it since I don't expect to have to chuck up
dozens of various sized objects ever session. Check 'em out, Alex.
They're machined nicely enough that when you loosen tight jaws, there
is a drag on the screw and a sucking sound from the oil caught between
the jaws. I think it'll be precise enough for my meager use,
machiningwise.

I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.