Posted to alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking
Myal Myal is offline

Default boiling water in Galvanized steel garbage can

Terryc wrote:
Myal wrote:

there was a KFC store collecting the pull tabs off the coke cans ,
they were trying to get enough titanum to make a flase leg for a local
girl .

Absolutely sure on this?

Yup
KFC at Glen Innes about 2 yr ago , I bought a van thru ebay and was up
there collectiong it , stopped off for a feed on our way thru the place
, they had a sign up and a bucket 1/2 full of rip tabs ...

If you want to ask a metalworking question and get a real answer, take
it to rec.crafts.metalworking.

Im interested in the metal ,

The "Titanium" that you are interested in is really titanium steel.
That is steel that has a fractional percentage of the element titanium,
and probably other **** added.

Like stainless steel is a steel with chrome and other stuff added to
give it that "stainless" property.

if pull tabs are a source , they are easy to get in big numbers.

which would tell you that the metal is worth; **** extra

how easy is it to melt and cast ?

I have absolutely no idea. I thought the idea with titanium was that you
roll or extrude a thinner cross section and save weight.

OTOH, read a rule of thumb the other day (bicycle list) where someone
said he just doubled the thickness of the aluminium he used, obtained
the same strength and saved a third of the weight.