Posted to sci.electronics.repair
n cook n cook is offline

Default Copper or brass wire mesh

Meat Plow wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 12:59:37 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

"N Cook" wrote in message
I'm thinking of reinforcing solder points on dropper resistors,

subjected
vibration. Forcing a small pad of mesh over the lead and burying in the
solder.
Other than proper suppliers for large quantities, what sort of
shops/conventional applications would use it.?
My local decent hardware shop has nothing , a local machine mart has
expanded brass sheet but that is too coarse. Would there be a
gardening/horticulture use?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

I have done this sort of thing in the past, and have just tightly

wrapped a
few turns of tinned copper wire around the leg, before burying the whole

in
solder. Seemed to work ok.

Arfa

Used solder wick works nice.

I have used that before and stripped coax shielding but they are both messy
for cutting small pads and also pushing mesh over the leads would give a bit
of mechanical grip even without any solder.
For large pads I've also used cut down and cleaned up old perforated zinc as
used in old larders for ventilation but keeping flies out. It seems to
solder quite well but its a bit thick for most components

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England