Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default 3-way switch

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 20:34:36 -0400, Terry
wrote:

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 19:00:24 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 15:51:18 -0400, Terry
wrote:

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 19:40:20 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Mark Lloyd wrote:
May be true. It depends on how the circuit is wired. I have one here
where that is not true, each box has:

1. hot
2. neutral
3. connected only to light

It's #3 that is connected to the common terminal of the switch.

Post a diagram somewhere. That circuit's not wired the way you think it is.

I bet he is talking about that California 3-way again. That doesn't
count.

It's NOT a "California 3-way". That has all 3 switch terminals
connected together, this has only 2 (second diagram below). The light
is between the common terminals.

It would only confuse the OP. And me too.

So, you'd like to assume there's only ONE way to wire 3-way switches?
Reality often doesn't cooperate with peoples preferences. It refuses
to simplify itself to comply with your wishes.

Here's 3 (don't forget to use a fixed font to view this)

switch#1 switch#2
o|----------------o|
(H) | |
-------o| o|--------light---\

o-----------------o |
(N) |
-------------------------------------------/

(H)
--------o|--------------------o

o|------light---------o|
(N) |
--------o---------------------o|

(H)
--------o|---------------------o

o|---------------------o|

o----------------------o|

(N) |
---------------------------light

We have rehashed this to death already. If it is not a California
3-way then it is switching the neutral. That is against the code.

Sounds like you're equating "against code" with "nonexistent". Of
course, that second way (which switches the neutral) is not
recommended for new construction. Did you think this was new
construction?

I do understand that there is more than one way to skin a cat. I was
just trying to help the OP get his lights working again.

How do you know how the OP's light is wired?

I have a hard time following ASCII drawings. Sorry

The main problem is when proportional spacing makes a mess of it. You
avoid that mess by using a fixed-width font while drawing and while
reading.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov