Posted to alt.home.repair
BillGill BillGill is offline

Default Fuse box to CB Panel - logistics

aemeijers wrote:

Chuckle. In this house, when they had to move service entrance due to an
addition and a upgrade to 150 amp, they gutted the old service panel and
used it as a giant junction box, with floating splices and terminal blocks,
and extended the runs ten feet sideways to the new service panel. I guess it
met code enough to get the inspection sticker, but I'm not really happy with
it. (Note that the work predates my ownership- no way would I have signed
off on that as owner, even if it cost another several hundred to pull fresh
wire on all or some of the runs, or put a longer pipe between meter base and
old location, or make old panel location a subpanel fed off a new main
panel.)

aem sends...

That seems to be the standard way to do it. That's what
they did several years ago when I had my fuse panel
replaced. They had to move the panel to the outside of
the wall the fuse box was on because the fuse box was in
a closet. The just extended the wiring using wire nuts
in the old fuse box, which became, as you said, a giant
junction box. Then they screwed the cover shut and
marked it as a hazardous area. The inspector seemed to
expect just that.

Bill Gill