Posted to rec.woodworking
DanG DanG is offline

Default Best saw to cut 2.5" butcher block?

No harm to the saw, but if you could borrow an 8" saw life would
be easier. Recip saw or good hand saw?

Run all edges with a ball bearing router bit, not a deep cut,. I
like the look of a chamfer bit, but a 1/4" round over would look
good also. This will get all edges uniform and remove the "sharp"
edges.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"sammywhite" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 27, 6:32 pm, "DanG" wrote:
Gorgeous piece. Probably either maple or birch.

Are the ends going to show once installed?
What tools do you own now? I'm thinking about a circular saw, a
belt sander, and a router.
The piece has been stained and top coated. Do you know what the
current finish is?

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"sammywhite" wrote in message

oups.com...
On Jul 26, 8:50 pm, "Jon" wrote:

Milwaukee 8 1/4" circular saw will cut right through it. Use
good
straight edge. If you want to you can use a table saw but it
has to be a
good quality table saw. I am assuming this is a hardwood like
maple? Use a
new blade, even then you will still get some slight burning.
Touch up with
a sander.

Jon"DanG" wrote in message

A normal circular saw with a normal 7 1/4" blade will cut
about
2 3/8" at
90° (DeWalt/Milwaukee). I would set up an edge guide and use
circular
saw . You almost don't care if the bottom 1/8 splinters off
(should be out
of sight), but would be quick work for a sawsall or hand saw
or
a second
cut from the back side with the circular saw..

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"sammywhite" wrote in message
roups.com...
I've got a piece of butcher block counter that I salvaged.
It's
roughly 2'x6' and 2.5" thick (really heavy). I need to
trim
it down
to fit a new location to about 1.5'x5'. What do you think
would be
the best type of saw to make these cuts?.....and, I'll
admit
I'm a
novice with this kind of stuff (but do have access to some
decent
tools)....do you think I should turn this job over to a
pro.

Thanks for your help!- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for your responses!

I'm actually not sure what kind of wood it is....which I suppose
speaks volumes about how much of a rookie I am.

I uploaded a photo if anyone would like to take a shot at
identifying
it for me (for better or worse).....

http://picasaweb.google.com/robert.p...ck/photo#50918...

Thanks again!- Hide quoted text -

Two ends will show after installation. I'm not sure about the
current
finish, but I do intend to completely redo it.

I've got a decent belt sander and router, but my circular saw is
pretty suspect. I can borrow a DeWalt (7.25"). Any risk (to the
saw)
in using it on this block?