Posted to rec.woodworking
John B John B is offline

Default Convert TV to Stand

wrote:
Hello,

I've got an old 61" Sony TV I've been trying to fix for the past
month. Looks like the end of the road - two of the picture tubes are
shorted out. It's OK, we watched it for 14 years, it doesn't owe us
any money.

The dead TV is big - it weighs about 200 pounds. I had to pay
piano
movers to bring it into my house when we moved. Now I have to pay
somebody to haul it out. And I have to buy a stand for the new TV.
They
ain't cheap.

Then I had an idea - the old TV is not only electronics, it's also
a decent
piece of furniture. Why not yank all the electronics, cut it down and
make a stand out of it? The hard stuff - the substructure and wheels
- is already done. I would cut the sides at about 20 inches from the
floor, pop the top off and refasten it to the sides. There would
surely be enough wood left to put in an internal shelf or two for
equipment.

It's not the nicest wood - veneer-coated particle board, painted
black. And
I will have to cut the sides down with a circular saw. I figure I'll
clamp a
guide so I can just run the saw along it - first just a sixteenth of
an inch deep
to cut cleanly through the veneer.

Anybody done anything like this?

- Jerry Kaidor

"You might be a Redneck if you have a working TV sitting on a non
working TV"

regards
John