Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Long term tool storage

Grant Erwin wrote:

Ignoramus21381 wrote:

I have 625 tools of a certain kind. If I sell one per week, that means
that I will be selling them for the next 12 years. (scary thought)

They are made of steel and have dark finish (phosphate), but are not painted.

I am going to store them outdoors, in three rectangular plastic bins
with covers that snap over them, so that rain water does not
penetrate.

In addition, I placed desiccant bags in those bins.

Would you say that it is sufficient to prevent them from rusting for
12 years.

Not unless you also fill the bins with clean oil. Which isn't a bad
idea - pour off the oil, pour in a solvent, shake, stir, pour that off,
then wipe down each item as you sell it.

In the Midwest humidity, that stuff is going to rust unless you change
those desiccant bags prettty often.

At least that's what my opinion is.

GWE

I'd second the oil idea, it's probably the simplest and most reliable.
Whatever new oil is cheapest should be fine.

Pete C.