Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ted frater ted frater is offline

Default Long term tool storage

Carl Boyd wrote:
Iggy

I don't think the plastic bins will last 12 years outside. Metal containers
with
rubber seals will hold up, Moisture will get in and the dessicant will take
care of that for a while, but you are going to need to change the dessicant
on a regular basis, like every 6 months. Then if you coat the tools you may
be OK.

Consider vacuum sealed plastic bags with dessicant bags, in metal
containers.

Carl Boyd

"Ignoramus21381" wrote in message

I have 625 tools of a certain kind. If I sell one per week, that means
that I will be selling them for the next 12 years. (scary thought)

They are made of steel and have dark finish (phosphate), but are not

painted.

I am going to store them outdoors, in three rectangular plastic bins
with covers that snap over them, so that rain water does not
penetrate.

In addition, I placed desiccant bags in those bins.

Would you say that it is sufficient to prevent them from rusting for
12 years.

Thanks

Im a serious tool collector, have hundreds of unusual metalworking and
wood working tools.
The best ones I keep in side my house in large card board boxes under
my bed. there dry and warm. Other tools not so important are in drawers
in another room thats dry but cold. Not so good. Occasional rust forms
due to temp and humidity changes.
Other toolslike the big ones power presses lathes etc live in my
workshop. Thats fine in the summer. but in the winter after a cold snap
warm moist air comes in from the sea and they all run with condensation.
To prevent rust I paint it all with clean engine oil.
Works well.
Id store the tools you have in your house under your bed. Safest place.