Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Boyd Carl Boyd is offline

Default Long term tool storage

Iggy

I don't think the plastic bins will last 12 years outside. Metal containers
with
rubber seals will hold up, Moisture will get in and the dessicant will take
care of that for a while, but you are going to need to change the dessicant
on a regular basis, like every 6 months. Then if you coat the tools you may
be OK.

Consider vacuum sealed plastic bags with dessicant bags, in metal
containers.

Carl Boyd

"Ignoramus21381" wrote in message
I have 625 tools of a certain kind. If I sell one per week, that means
that I will be selling them for the next 12 years. (scary thought)

They are made of steel and have dark finish (phosphate), but are not

painted.

I am going to store them outdoors, in three rectangular plastic bins
with covers that snap over them, so that rain water does not
penetrate.

In addition, I placed desiccant bags in those bins.

Would you say that it is sufficient to prevent them from rusting for
12 years.

Thanks