Posted to misc.consumers.house
jmagerl jmagerl is offline

Default Reattach wheels and axle to a plastic garbage container?

Speaking from experience:
There is a little end cap on the axle (one at each end). At least one has to
be removed in order to reinstall the axle. You can't pound the axle into the
groove. Having done it several times, there are several ways to remove one.
I usually just grab it with a vicegrips and twist and pull. or you can
loosely put it in a vise and do a quick yank down on the axle, or you can
knock it off with a hammer. Don't worry about damaging it, you can buy a new
one at Ace hardware. Now here is the tip: get a tube of flowable urathane
caulk and after the axle is back in, fill the groove up with the caulk and
let it flow around the axle. If you dont do this, the axle will continue to
pop out and you will continue to curse the gorilla that does this to you.
Once repaired, you can than contemplate your next repair. Because once the
Gorilla finds out he can no longer remove the axle, he will start to work on
the handle. So far, that just pops back in.

"David E." wrote in message
Anyone,

I know this seems so dumb... I have three large plastic Rubbermaid outdoor
garbage containers with wheels. Over about a year, the axle/wheels have
become separated from the containers. I tried hammering them back into the
groove in the container and I just can't seem to be able to do it.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? It doesn't appear to me that the wheels
are designed to be removed from the axle, or else I would take one wheel
off and try to slide the axle into the groove, then reattach the wheel.

Thanks...

David