Posted to alt.home.repair
Zephyr Zephyr is offline

Default Hiring uninsured painter

The risk with a uninsured 'painter' comes when one of [his] helpers falls
off the ladder and can't work as a result of the injury. Now, he is hurt on
[your] property! He will ultimately sue YOU since the painter he was
working for doesn't have a dime or insurance.

Also, if the painter decides not to pay his [helpers], they can turn around
and sue you for payment. [Although in California the painter is required to
have a $12,500 bond to be licensed, which you [the homeowner] can lean on
for his failure to perform [or his employee's can also lean on the bond].

--
Zyp

"marson" wrote in message
oups.com...
Call your insurance agent and see what happens if he hurts himself and
sues you or burns your house down. In my state, your homeowner's
policy will cover the the unlicensed painter. If you end up with a
claim, your rates will go up--but that is a much smaller risk, then
say losing your retirement account. If it were me, I'd hire a
uninsured painter, assuming he has good references etc. Not an
excavator, plumber, or general contractor, for example, but for a
painter? How big is the risk seriously?