Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Fuse box to CB Panel - logistics

"RichK" wrote in message
. ..
Hi All,

I'm sure it's been asked a million times and answered, but I'm not getting
any google hits on the specific point.

When replacing a fuse box with circuit breaker panel in a 50's house, how
does an electrician mange to transfer all the cables from one to the
other.
They will not be long enough in most cases, even if the new box is put in
the exact space.

There's nothing wrong will the existing cables in the house, but they
would
not be long enough to connect to anything else except the existing fuse
box.

Can one install some sort of small terminal block box above existing fuse
box and use it as an interconnection box, then jumper all the cables to
the
new CB panel?

Chuckle. In this house, when they had to move service entrance due to an
addition and a upgrade to 150 amp, they gutted the old service panel and
used it as a giant junction box, with floating splices and terminal blocks,
and extended the runs ten feet sideways to the new service panel. I guess it
met code enough to get the inspection sticker, but I'm not really happy with
it. (Note that the work predates my ownership- no way would I have signed
off on that as owner, even if it cost another several hundred to pull fresh
wire on all or some of the runs, or put a longer pipe between meter base and
old location, or make old panel location a subpanel fed off a new main
panel.)

aem sends...