Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

"Eeyore" wrote in message

PeteS wrote:

Traver wrote:

If high-rel is of upmost importance, we struggle to find tin-lead
parts.

I'm currently consluting in the aerospace / military equipment area and
this place goes to the length of re-balling BGAs with eutectic tin-lead
solder, clearing and refinishing pins etc. - i.e. if it's not the right
finish, the company refinishes the part.

There are some non SnPb finishes that are ok in non-safety critical
systems, but safety critical (flight control computers, FADECs etc) must
have a tin-lead solder profile. Gets to be a real problem with small
passives.

Pushes up the price of everything, of course.

The effort invoved in puting lead back on components always strikes me as
one of
the more bizarre aspects of RoHS. Talk about proof the idea was
fundamentally
wrong in the first place !

Graham

Seconded on that, and a point that I've been making since the start in the
various scribblings I've done for the trade rags etc.

Arfa