Posted to alt.electronics
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default DC current

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 17:37:54 +0100, coyoteboy
wrote:

PeterD wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 17:53:01 GMT, "Tony P"
wrote:

I have done what you suggested and I have a reading of 0.39A
I do not know if this is excessive for a car.

Generally, over a longer term, it is excessive. Ideal parasitic draw
should be about 50 MA (0.050 A)

50 MegaAmps - crikey lol

But at only 1 mV... g

, so you are *well* above ideal values.
However, monitoring requirements do both vary from vehicle to vehicle,
and over time as computers go to sleep and wake up. Best to check draw
about 30 to 60 minutes after stopping and closing the car. Do not open
doors, or otherwise let the car know you are there (like doing the
power remote locks, etc.)

My car (older toyota) with immobiliser, alarm, stereo, clock and no
other draw sits at around 200ma and I thought that was fairly excessive,
so i'd be inclined to agree.

I'd call 200 mA (better?) too much too. I suppose if you drive every
day, that's OK, but skip a few days and that battery will be flat.