Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Electrical guru's?

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Lost a SCO unix box to a brownout once. It had two big disks and a tape
drive in it..too much for the power supply capacitors to keep going on.
It rebooted, and we got another one as it was reloading all its
operating system. Crashed the most critical part of the disk. Never
worked again.

No other computer batted an eyelid.

We had about half a dozen power cuts last Monday during the day - only
lasted at most a couple of mins each so the UPSs rode though them
without any difficulties. The last one however came at about half seven,
and it stayed off. After 15 mins or so I though it was time to power
down before the batteries ran out. Then we though ok, now what? Decided
a cinema trip was about the only thing to do, so fired a computer up
again long enough to book tickets (made it with 30 secs of battery to
spare!). Buggered off to see Shrek the third. Phoning home at 10:00
revealed still no power (this power cut affecting only 300 meters square
of the village it seemed). So got a takeaway on the way home. Apparently
the power came back about 10 mins before we got home ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.