Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Howard Stephen Howard is offline

Default best thing to seal oak for making a chopping board

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 20:47:31 +0100, "Brian G"
wrote:

Staffbull wrote:

Thanks for all the answers, I'll try out the liquid parrafin I think,
I have enough to worktop to make around a dozen good sized boards!!
but I'm trying to think of another use for the longest piece as its
1.5m and it would be a shame to cut that to bits !! - first thought is
a kitchen trolley/table thingy on castors !!

Now that's a better use for it - and to get the best and 'deepest' finish,
have a read of a good French polishing book from the library on how to fill
the grain and polish the wood rather than using the polyurethane finishes -
it really is well worth the effort (as long as you have the time and
patience).

French polish for a kitchen trolley/table thingy?
Asking for trouble, that is.
An oil finish would be far more practical, and retain the wood's
natural lustre.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk