Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Fuse box to CB Panel - logistics

RichK wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message

Common practice is to install new meter base, weatherhead and run new
wiring to the breaker panel.

This is being done.

than to install a junction box and splice in more wire.

But how do you transfer all the existing 10-14 ga wires from the existing
fuse box, to the new panel. Even if located in exact same spot, the
geometry is different and many of these will not be long enough. Is there a
clever way to "extend" them :-) That is why I asked if a box with terminal
strip can be used for this purpose. Such box could be physically located
above present fuse box, to make sure existing cables would be long enough.

RichK

The norm for the installations I've been involved in is to install a
decent sized pull box up high where all the existing house feeds can
comfortably reach and connect from there to the new panel with conduit.
The various circuits in the pull box are then connected back to the new
panel with new individual conductors. To contain the wiring mess a
ground bar can be installed in the pull box with a larger single ground
conductor returning to the new panel. The neutrals all have to go back
to the new panel individually as do the hots.