Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] dkthornton@gmail.com is offline

Default Deck stain - Behr Semi-Transparent Stain with Nanoguard

On Jul 27, 8:38 am, wrote:
Hi

The local Home Depot is carrying a deck semi transparent stain - Behr
"Premium Semi-Transparent Weatherproofing Deck, Fence & Siding Stain".
The product info is at
http://www.behr.com/behrx/act/view/p...GroupId=133&ca....

This product is offering the longest time warranty of all the semi-
transparent stains at the stores in my area - 6 years for horizontal
surfaces and 8 years for vertical surfaces.

The product description states that this is a "A semi-transparent
stain featuring NANOGUARDŽ technology provides ultimate durability
with water clean-up. This urethane-fortified penetrating formula..."

Does anyone have experience with this in terms of longevity and how
well it will wear? I have a moderate sized deck that is in full sun 10
AM to 6PM.

Thanks
Tom

We used a similar product from Behr. My advice is to follow the label
directions to the letter. We were told by someone at Home Depot that
since we were sanding the deck we could apply the product directly.
NOT TRUE. It flaked and peeled after the winter. Fortunately Behr was
fantastic in that they advised us what we should have done and have
reimbursed the cost of the product PLUS offset the cost of the prep
material we need. Haven't had a chance to do the re-application, but I
do believe they are a reputable company and we know from experience
that they stand behind their products... even when one of their dealer
gave bad advice.
Kim