Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Lathe abuse?

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 00:29:51 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

When you do replace a belt, eventually, I recommend the linked
belts. They run with less vibration, and the length can be adjusted in 1/2"
increments, which may allow you to further reduce the speed. See whether
the belt bottoms on the motor pulley before it reaches the largest diameter
on the spindle pulley. If it does, you can further lower the minimum RPM by
adding length to the belt.

If you keep a short length of link belting on hand, you can repair a broken
belt without replacing the whole thing. Usually, a broken belt results from
a stall, which causes the motor pulley to spin on one spot, burning the
belt. So repairing by replacing a few links makes sense.

Excellent point, Leo...

I haven't needed to change the belt on my 1442 yet, but the day that I read the
instructions for taking the spindle out to change a belt, I bought the link belt
and have it ready!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing