Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Lathe abuse?

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 22:15:22 GMT, "Maxprop" wrote:

This of course begs the question as to whether this is hard on the Reeves drive, or if it is an
acceptable practice. No one at the Jet distribution center had the
slightest idea. But it works, and I'll probably continue to use this method
until I either damage the drive or learn from an authority that it's
deleterious.

Yes, but not right away...
I guess in the last 3 years I've put as many hours on my 1442 as some folks do
in a life time, but it's showing signs of wear..

Notably is the pulley on the motor shaft, which is sticky and noisy even with
frequent disassembly and lubrication...
As far as I can tell, this is caused by me running the lathe slower, exactly as
you described...
I'm not a machinist, but as I understand what the jet help desk told me, forcing
the pulleys into a position that they weren't "designed" to be in misaligned the
pulleys and puts stress on the rod in the headstock that moves the headstock
pulley to change speed..

I WILL keep doing it when I feel I need a lower speed for safety, but I try to
limit how often I do it...

I really would like a now Nova with digital control and all, but I need to make
my Jet last for several more sales before hinting to the wife that it's time for
another lathe.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing