Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Chandler Jim Chandler is offline

Default Nitrous Oxide and tubing cleanliness

wrote:
On Jul 26, 2:54 am, wrote:

I plan to run N2O into the air/fuel injector of my Aprilia SR50 Ditech
scooter at 5 bar, around 75 PSI.

Will it blow up--that is my question.

If it will, I will try propane. If not, I'll work it out and do a
nitrous run on this tiny scooter.

The air line is contaminated by "spooge", an oil-water mix generated
by the onboard injection air compressor operated by crankshaft cam and
processing engine air which is mixed with an oil mist at the reed
valve intake, after the throttle body. "Scootnfast" has outlined a
spooge filter; I have one and the engine runs cleaner and better with
it in place. I drain my filter every time I have a SLOP (Sudden Loss
of Power). I should do it more often than that.

I get 96 mph driving hard, and well over 100 mph on cruises. Synerject
invented and provides the components for Aprilia's Ditech
impementation of the direct air injection technology, which atomizes
gasoline to 8 microns. I hope to build a direct air injection
airfcraft engine one day, because the economy would be world-class;
aircraft economy is a real big factor in air travel for light air and
some for experimental, not so much for ultralight.

Sure, if I ran O2 in this line, it would explode very likely, but how
"strong" is N2O as an oxidizer at 5 bar?

If I disassembled all lines and the injector body, and cleaned out the
oil traces, would N2O injection then be safe? You see, if I did that,
I could run an onboard oilless electric powered air compressor and
have some fun switching between air and nitrous oxide.

Always some fun to be had around here.

Doug Goncz
Replikon Research
Seven Corners, VA 22044-0394

I'm assuming you mean 96 and 100 MPG, there...

Anyway, when you introduce nitrous oxide, you must also introduce more
fuel. The N2O breaks down into N2 and O2, and that O2 is gonna make
you lean.

Dave

If you want a good idea of what nitrous can do, take a look at today's
news. Yesterday at Scaled Composites (the group that launched the first
private space ship) over in Mojave, CA. workers were testing a nitrous
injector when something went WRONG! Now three are dead and three others
are in critical condition. That's some nasty stuff in the wrong conditions.

Jim