Posted to rec.woodworking
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Finger joints and glue

On Jul 26, 2:18 pm, "George" wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jul 26, 11:20 am, wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 07:27:25 -0700, Jeff wrote:
I built a jig to make finger joints on my router table. I'm using a
1/2" router bit and spacing the fingers 1/2" apart. It worked well.
Probably too well. I had to dry join the wood with a rubber mallet and
a vise. The fit is extremely tight. I suspect it is way too tight to
glue. It seems to me that I'd want a couple thousands of an inch gap
between the fingers to accommodate the glue. What's a good way to
accomplish this? Should I just sand the fingers before joining?

Move the jig a hair closer to the bit.

Pete

You mean move the pin a couple thousands of an inch closer to the bit?
I'm not going to be able to move the pin with that type of precision,
but I can prolly make the adjustment by shaving wood off the runner
that guides the jig along the router table. The jig straddles the
table and I have a runner on each side.

Pete gave the right answer. Makes the piece left behind a touch narrower,
while the bit still takes the same amount.

Sounds like you made something similar to a tablesaw jig. You can try
gluing some paper to the side of the pin and seeing how that does you.
Should work.

Of course, you could make your next jig this way and have the microadjust
built in. Works great.http://www.routerworkshop.com/boxjoints.html

That jig is perfect.

Mine was modeled after the table saw jig because I had been using the
table saw to cut them. I was sick of changing to dado blades so I
ported my table saw jig to the router table.

Thanks,
Jeff