Posted to rec.woodworking
sammywhite sammywhite is offline

Default Best saw to cut 2.5" butcher block?

On Jul 26, 8:50 pm, "Jon" wrote:
Milwaukee 8 1/4" circular saw will cut right through it. Use a good
straight edge. If you want to you can use a table saw but it has to be a
good quality table saw. I am assuming this is a hardwood like maple? Use a
new blade, even then you will still get some slight burning. Touch up with
a sander.

Jon"DanG" wrote in message

A normal circular saw with a normal 7 1/4" blade will cut about 2 3/8" at
90° (DeWalt/Milwaukee). I would set up an edge guide and use a circular
saw . You almost don't care if the bottom 1/8 splinters off (should be out
of sight), but would be quick work for a sawsall or hand saw or a second
cut from the back side with the circular saw..

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"sammywhite" wrote in message
roups.com...
I've got a piece of butcher block counter that I salvaged. It's
roughly 2'x6' and 2.5" thick (really heavy). I need to trim it down
to fit a new location to about 1.5'x5'. What do you think would be
the best type of saw to make these cuts?.....and, I'll admit I'm a
novice with this kind of stuff (but do have access to some decent
tools)....do you think I should turn this job over to a pro.

Thanks for your help!- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for your responses!

I'm actually not sure what kind of wood it is....which I suppose
speaks volumes about how much of a rookie I am.

I uploaded a photo if anyone would like to take a shot at identifying
it for me (for better or worse).....

http://picasaweb.google.com/robert.p...37660520161330

Thanks again!