Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Mueller Nick Mueller is offline

Default flux-core with no gas nozzle?

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

when you realize that water
isn't going to cut it this time, takes you three seconds to drop the
hose, grab an extinguisher, pull the pin, squeeze and sweep.

The point is: You shouldn't even try to extinguish a gas fire with water. *)

*)
That only reminds me at a story at the army when I was welding some
signs**). The biggest idiot***) of the shop came by with a brush soaked in
gas and brushed over the glowing weld. Sure the brush ignited. He waved it
around and the fire went out. He did it a second time (you bet, I told him
not to do so). It ignited again, he tried to wave it out again. But the
brush fell out of his hand, right into a pan with gas. :-)
****** You know, when we had to use the fire extinguisher, we had to report
it. And that would only have triggered questions. What did that idiot do?
He ran for some water. NO!NO!NO!, don't do it! He did it anyhow and the
fire now was on the floor too. OK, we had to use the fire-extinguisher ...

**)
That only reminds me of ...
A major came by and watched me and asked, why it takes so long (we only had
OA). I just looked at him and without a word handed him the rod and the OA
torch. He left without further complaining. :-)

***)
That only reminds me ...
That moron was in cart racing. When he needed a new piston, he must have
confused the ordering number. 'Cause he got a piston without a window in
the skirt. What did he do? He clamped the piston in the vice, center
punched for 4 holes and drilled them. Then filed the rest. Well, the piston
got a "tad" oval. But nothing that couldn't be fixed with a hammer (in his
opinion).

Nick