Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default best thing to seal oak for making a chopping board

Dave Baker wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
Staffbull wrote:
Had some lengths of oak worktop and I intend to cut them into chopping
board sizes, they are untreated, what would be the best to seal them
with?

cheers

Just keep them for decoration and chop your food on a proper plastic
chopping board that you can actually wash

I recall some research from several years ago that wooden chopping boards
actually kept bacteria in check to a much greater degree than plastic ones.

There's research somewhere to suggest just about anything. I don't think
you'll find too many wooden chopping boards in commercial kitchens these
days.