Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Default What (new) building/local regulations would YOU enforce in 'floodplain ' builds?

dennis@home wrote:

And it is really cheap.

I estimate that at 7 houses to the acre,

Where do you live?
I estimate 20 homes to an acre at least.
Seven to an acre is real high end stuff around here.

Really? Ive got an acre of back garden here, and I would not think that
you could fit, with access roads, more than abut 7 'townhouses' on it.

Its 120 meters by 30 meters roughly.. If each house is 20 meters wide,
and twenty meters deep with a 10 meter back garden, that means 6 houses
would fill it without the access roads at all.

I cant imagine what sort of rabbit hutches go at 20 to the acre..

one acre is 4,000 square meters..if you are going 20 to the acre, that
is 200 square meters per house.. 2000 sq ft including parking and access
and garden..a mere 10x10 meter house, with 5 meters of frontage and 5
meters of back..yeah I suppose you can get a small 3/4 bed house on
that..with a postage stamp garden.

I must say I'd be inclined to do the outlined development as 3 storey
houses with NO garden.just large balconies...since you have to leave a
substantial area of land free for water management, that gets to be a
communal space as it were. I was really thinking of very upmarket and
exclusive stuff..