Posted to alt.home.repair
Big_Jake Big_Jake is offline

Default Cast Iron Pipe Repair?

On Jul 26, 8:46 pm, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"
wrote:
"Kevin" wrote in message

Greetings all!

Does anyone know if something exists that can be used to repair a leaky
cast iron drain stack? Basically, what I have is a nearly 40 year old
cast iron pipe that has formed various pin-sized holes from which waste
water leaks resulting in a rusty mess on the basement floor (it's gradual,
but does accumulate over time). Before I go through the trouble of having
the pipe replaced, I wanted to look into repair solutions. What I am
envisioning is some sort of putty that will adhere to the pipe, is water
resistant (or better yet water proof), and preferably can be painted.
I've experimented with epoxy glues, but none set fast enough to prevent
water from bubbling up underneath. The glue eventually fails.

The problem is that I cannot go for too long without running water through
the pipe (flushing toilets, running water in sinks, and so on), so there
is never enough time for the glue to dry completely (nor enough time for
the pipe to dry enough to apply the glue, I figure).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kevin

You could weld the holes shut although as many have already said, you're
better off replacing it.
Cheers,
cc

Really? You good at welding CAST IRON? My dad is a retired welder,
and couldn't weld cast iron, even after 37 years on the job.

JK