Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing old toilet tank

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am also wondering if the crack is in the back (I would also try to
repair it if the crack were in a non visable location). If it's in a
visable location I would try to repair it, then paint it with my paint
gun and that special epoxy paint like for bath tubs.

IMO, you'd have to be crazy to try to repair it. The material is brittle
and can crack in an instant, flooding the bathroom and allowing the valve to
open and add more water. Do you really want to risk doing thousands of
dollars in damage to save a few bucks? Ceramic does not give like metal. It
just breaks.

The tank is TRASH. Get rid of it as soon as you can. I'd shut the water
supply off immediately.