Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

"Jan Panteltje" wrote in message
On a sunny day (Thu, 26 Jul 2007 22:55:42 +0100) it happened Chris Jones
wrote in
:

You must have some rubbish kit over there then. A good PAL analogue TV
set, with a decent signal going in, beats a crappy highly compressed
digital signal, hands down, every time.

Actually I think you may be speaking some truth there.

No it is crap.

In the UK,

YUK

the video
bandwidth of the analogue PAL signal is wider than in other PAL countries,
which is why they had to move the sound subcarrier further from the vision
carrier, and which is why TVs couldn't be taken to/from the UK from/to
other PAL countries without some re-tuning,

Yea, well known, BBC, before it went brain dead, used to make nice
pictures,
even had in the very old ages 4 tube cameras, I have been there, touched
them,
had some interesting discussions with their techies.

Whatever you may think, compared to digital it sucks.
And that is digital done the right way, it makes no sense to
compare bad digital to HQ studio analog PAL as you do here when you talk
about some cheapo unspecified piece of consumer quality, about
some unspecified channels, sure you can get it as bad as you like.

until multi-standard chipsets
were introduced. It is very likely that he has never seen a PAL signal
with as much resolution as we get in the UK.

Idiot.

If you want to talk about a
picture decorated in artefacts however, then digital is the hands down
winner every time in that category ...

Yes, I borrowed a digital PVR from a friend and was not at all impressed.

Now that sure counts as a professional test.

Morons.

BYE

I fear it is you who is the moron, my friend. It makes absolute sense to
compare a crap digital signal to a good analogue one, for the ones provided
by digital terrestrial are, for the most part, crap. This is in stark
contrast to the analogue terrestrial signals, which have always been of the
highest quality. The opinion of the poster on what he saw on a PVR, was not
intended to be seen as a 'professional' test, rather it was a subjective
test, which is what we have been talking here all along ...

Arfa