Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Chris Jones Chris Jones is offline

Default So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

Spurious Response wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 02:37:53 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

Spurious Response wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Spurious Response wrote:

What is nice about digital broadcasts is that when you have the
signal, you have it all. No snow,
No herringbone patterns. Crisp and clean, with no caffeine.

Except when it breaks up.

Nope. If you tune the signal, you get ALL of the data. You must
exceed
more than ten percent bit error rate for a dropout to occur, and it is
bit error rate that matters most for a "tuned" channel.

I have a cable TV set top box. There's no tuning involved. It still breaks
up occasionally.

IT tunes itself, dip****.

Do you actually think I meant that you had a knob to turn?

Get your head out of your twenty year behind the digitally tuned
receiver world ass.

OK... I'll spell it out for you.

If it ACQUIRES the signal, and locks it in, it gets ALL packets from
the HEAVILY FEC coded stream, and can handle up to a 10% bit error rate
before the "tuning" starts to lose, and not be able to repair with the
FEC, data packets. When that happens, one starts to lose audio and or
video or could see some video artifacts. It usually results in short
term. low frame count dropouts.

So it isn't "breaking up". That is an analog expression. In digital
broadcast streams, the term is "dropout".

And then just when it gets to the interesting part of the programme you're
watching, outside it start raining. Then you get a few splutters of choppy
audio and a blue screen, then nothing at all, and you have to wait for it
to be repeated on analogue tomorrow.

Chris