Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Chris Jones Chris Jones is offline

Default So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

Eeyore wrote:

Jan Panteltje wrote:

Spurious Response wrote

Right, I turned in a portable TV last week.
This one was about 30 years old (seventies), and was still working OK,
but no analog transmissions here anymore, all you get is nice equal
distributed noise when tuning in to a digital station.

There are SEVERAL HDTV set top tuners out there that will pipe the
finished signal into a standard TV.

The boxes that are sold here are equipped with a SCART connector, a
waste.

I imagine you haven't looked very hard in that case. Many have UHF
outputs.

I would like one which simultaneously decodes ALL OF the four main channels
(BBC1, 2, ITV, CH4) and then re-modulates ALL of them as PAL onto different
UHF frequencies, to basically recreate the old analog spectrum (albeit with
some MPEG artefacts...). I want one of these because I'm pretty sure that
I won't find a set top box that is as easy for my grandmother to use as the
four-position rotary switch that is on her present TV, and I don't want it
to be harder to use when the analogue transmitter is turned off. I think a
box like that would sell very well even for a high price, to the elderly or
basically to anyone who can't get that excited about a new modulation
method like these fanboys, but who just wants to watch TV. Perhaps when
the time comes I'll just have to buy 4 digiboxes and some splitters and
combiners and make one of these boxes. At least then all her elderly
neighbours could use it too, at the same time, so it might work out cheaper
as well.

Chris