Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
xray xray is offline

Default Help ID tools

I bought a mixed-bag small auction, mainly for some C-clamps but got
some tools with it too.

Two of the tools are unusual and I don't recognize them. Here's a pic:
http://www.xertech.net/pub/tools.jpg

Both are made out of sheet steel. The steel on the pliers is about 3/16"
thick and 1/8" thick for the other tool.

The pliers thing on the left in the picture is about 12 inches long. The
left jaw (in the pic) has a pin about 3/4" long and .21" dia that points
toward the right jaw. The right jaw is U-shaped with the U opening about
3/4" wide and centered around the pin. The pin tip doesn't quite reach
the plane of the U jaw when fully closed. For some reason, the two
outside corners of the jaw piece that holds the pin are folded in toward
the center.

The other tool on the right in the picture seems to maybe be some kind
of special wrench. Full length is about 7". The working end has a
squarish C-shaped cutout opening to the side. The opening of the C forms
two pins about 1/8" wide and deep. The C opening is about 7/16". One
side of the tool shows a slight circular wear mark about 1.5" in dia,
centered on the opening of the C cutout. (That mark makes me think it is
a wrench that fits into two slots in something to be rotated.)

So, that's my two wierd tools. If I never figure out what they were for,
I guess it won't matter. I got enough other stuff in the purchase to
make it an ok deal.

My first thought for the pliers was some kind of chain breaker, but that
doesn't seem likely as I think about it more. I don't know if these two
tools are related in any way. The smaller tool has a stamp on it that
says 'warning wear eye protection'. No markings on the pliers.