Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
LP LP is offline

Default Who knows about routing out a sign?

On 24 Jul 2007 22:03:06 GMT, Milt wrote:

I am interested in makeing some outdoor signs using my router. I
have cut out the letters and words on some finished redwood - but my
question is how do I color - or paint the routed out area like in black,
then have an unfinished surface so the writing stands out?

i have tried spraying it then sanding the surface, but the paint soks in
so much and the redwood is soft enough so that sandng the surface al but
takes out the routed letters.

I use redwood because it is good for outdoors, and is soft enough as to
easily route freehand - which is what I did.

Does anyone know the best method for this?

Someone suggested covering the face of the board with "blue tape" like for
painting - then routhing thru the tape,. spraying after the routing, then
removing the tape. I have not tried this yet.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

THANKS!
Milt

Rather than using tape, I think an easier method would be to first get
yourself a can of 3M "77" spray contact adhesive.

Then cut a piece of paper of some kind heavy enough to prevent the
paint from bleeding thru. Make this slightly larger than your sign
blank.

Spray one side of the paper with the contact adhesive, and let it dry.
This will only take 2-3 minutes, and all you need is a very light
coat.

Stick the paper to the blank, and route your letters. Spray with the
color of your choice, then peel the paper from the blank. The "77"
will have enough tack to keep the paper in place but easily releases
when you're done.