Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Jan Panteltje Jan Panteltje is offline

Default So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

On a sunny day (Wed, 25 Jul 2007 17:05:06 -0700) it happened Spurious Response
wrote in
:
Right, I turned in a portable TV last week.
This one was about 30 years old (seventies), and was still working OK,
but no analog transmissions here anymore, all you get is nice equal
distributed noise when tuning in to a digital station.

There are SEVERAL HDTV set top tuners out there that will pipe the
finished signal into a standard TV.

The boxes that are sold here are equipped with a SCART connector, a waste.
My 30 year old portable has no SCART, and neither is it HDTV (high resolution).
HDTV is here only available in HDMI DHCP, and still rare anyways.
The normal broadcasting on 'digitenne' here is not HDTV, but DVB-T 720x576.
The idea of a 'portable' is that you bring it to the camping, switch it on, and
see the picture. This fails now for many portables.
I am watching digital TV via the PC for satellite, and also via USB with
a settop box for terrestrial.
This allows me to record transport-stream, burn to DVD, automate things, etc.

I have not seen any digitenne portable TVs yet, but I am sure the market will
soon overflow with these.
I do see a lot of very cheap analog TVs for sale :-)

What is nice about digital
broadcasts is that when you have the signal, you have it all. No snow,
No herringbone patterns. Crisp and clean, with no caffeine.

mmm, it is actually not so simple, for example with satellite
we now are moving from DVB-S to DVB-S2, and also from 720x576 to 1980x1080 interlaced
or progressive, all with HDCP / HDMI..... using MPEG4 / H264 with some sort
of audio, well we have now mp2, AC3, more to follow.....
That, and your sets fall apart after 3 years because of lead-free, it is a great time
for manufacturers of electronics consumers stuff now ain't it?
Not even to mention Blu-ray versus HD-DVD or whatever, no connector fits....
no format is the same....
It is a wild wild world out there :-)