Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus16379 Ignoramus16379 is offline

Default perl script

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 04:54:07 GMT, cavelamb himself wrote:
Ignoramus31024 wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 00:25:23 GMT, Dev Null wrote:

Ignoramus31024 wrote in
news:gaadnS86RasRJjrbnZ2dnUVZ_szinZ2d@giganews. com:

.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0kfB0RgQbok

Very impressive. Here's my perl script that I use to download
YouTube videos as .AVI files, for local viewing.

Can you post some info or links on how to use this?

Will this work with windows or is it Linux only?

It should work with windows, you can get ActivePerl. I never tried
that, though, but I could try it on windows if anyone expresses interest.
There is nothing linux specific in this script.

You need to run it from command line.

Intrest, iggy.
Lots of interest.

I tried a downloaded YouTube saver but it didn't work very well.
Make a bunch of Windows Weenies real happy???

It works. If you are not familiar with perl, you may spend some extra
time, but there is some value in learning.

Download ActivePerl and install it into, say, c:/Perl588. (do not
install it under Program Files, it is not command line friendly)

Then, use their ppm.bat command to install WWW::Mechanize module.

ppm.bat WWW::Mechanize

Then, create a directory c:/temp/extra_modules/WWW/Mechanize.

Download a file

http://search.cpan.org/src/PEGI/WWW-...hanize/GZip.pm

right into that directory.

Save my YouTube script somewhere, say c:/temp/YouTube.pl

The, execute a command (kind of long, but you can make a .BAT file fot
it later)

PERL5LIB=c:/temp/extra_modules c:/Perl588/bin/perl c:/temp/YouTube.pl http://youtube.com/watch?v=BVxHrMRQyvw

This would download a video of me running a Cummins L423D diesel engine that I restored.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BVxHrMRQyvw