Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default riding mower on hill - how easy to flip?

mfreak wrote in news:1184254739.068017.167640
@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

I have my eye on a 40" 12hp Murray riding mower, it's maybe 10 years
old or so, regular front-engine standard tractor mower. My house is
built on a hill, and I'm wondering if the slope is too great. Due to
the shape of my yard, I can't really go up and down the hill, I have
to go across the hill. I'd guess the hill is a bout 20 degrees, and
I'm nervous that the mower with me sitting on it will be too top-heavy
and flip.

Sure it could. Neighbor had one roll on her. Any safety person would just
say don't do it. I used to do it. Slope wasn't bad but I rode with the
upside edge of the seat in crack of my ass (bad with tighty whiteys,
leaves skid marks). You hit a wet spot though and it will slide
anyway...catch a tiny bit of momentum and if the wheels rebite over she
rolls I'd suspect. Ass crack assisted or not.

Or is the center of gravity pretty low in these things?

Thanks,