Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North JR North is offline

Default flux-core with no gas nozzle?

The gas lens doesn't work like a Mig or Tig setup. It does, however,
help contain the shielding gas around the puddle, which helps weld
quality somewhat, and protects the copper nose of the torch from
shorting to the work.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

I've got a microscopic amount of experience with MIG, and zero with
fluxcore, so bear with me he

What happens if you weld fluxcore, and don't have the gas nozzle on
the welder?

I'll be repairing a bracket on my truck soon, and it'll be hard to get
at. In my tiny MIG experience, the single hardest problem I had was
clearly seeing the spark and the puddle; working under my truck's
dashboard I'll need all the help I can get.

I've never done fluxcore at all; every picture I've seen of fluxcore
in use -- including rigs that can't be converted to gas -- has shown a
gas nozzle just like for MIG around the contact tip. It isn't clear
to me why this should be necessary -- since the shielding comes from
the flux, it seems like it ought to work just fine to take the nozzle
off, and get a better view of the work. This is with a cold torch,
obviously.

So... commnts?

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"