Posted to alt.home.repair
Heathcliff Heathcliff is offline

Default Foundation bolts

On Jul 25, 12:51 am, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
I'm replacing foundation plates and rim joists on the house. The dry rot is
so bad that I can use my bench brush to sweep out the lumber.

I need to replace about 40 lineal feet. I'm jacking up the house (about an
inch) from the outside (siding already removed), pulling out the rotten
material and replacing it with pressure treated 2x6 lumber. I cannot
install foundation bolts on the plates, nor were there any in the first
place.

Seems like my only choice would be to get some earthquake straps, drill and
bolt the straps vertically to connect the foundation and one of the studs.
Repeat every 4 feet.

BTW, this is not high earthquake country.

Anybody have a better idea.

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

Having the house bolted to the foundation is not just for earthquakes,
but also for any high-wind situation -- does your area have
hurricanes, tornadoes, or severe thunderstorms? I have seen slides of
a house shifted off its foundation by winds of no more than 65 mph.
For that matter, it might help in other situations too, like if a car
hits the house. I would favor bolts epoxied in. You might be able to
rent an angle drill to drill downwards through the sill plate into the
foundation to install them.
-- H